Closing date for applications: September 1st, 2022
YAY! BIGSSS is delighted to offer academic grants to outstanding international applicants in 2022/23.
German Research Foundation study grants are available to applicants who wish to study in doctoral positions in the Research Training Group during the academic year 2023/2024.
As part of the BIGSSS study grants, early-career researchers from a variety of social science disciplines can examine how individuals interact with their social environments, providing a platform for studying themselves in diverse social systems, varying in complexity and changing dynamically over time.
Bremen International Graduate School of Social Sciences (BIGSSS) is jointly run by Jacobs University Bremen and the University of Bremen. The program is funded by the federal and state governments as part of their Excellence Initiative. In addition to working closely with many renowned research institutions on the regional, national, and international levels, BIGSSS is part of a worldwide network of graduate education programs.
Criteria for selection include:
- We welcome candidates with degrees in related fields as well. It is a requirement of the program that all accepted researchers relocate to Bremen for the duration of the program.
- To be considered for admission, dissertation proposals must demonstrate a broad fit between the project lines and the dissertation proposal. The application allows the specification of up to three project lines that may fit.
The following are the benefits of applying:
Jacobs University or the University of Bremen will offer the successful applicants a 36-month work contract at the salary scale E13 TV-L/TVöD (65%).
The supporting documents are as follows:
Online applications must include all required materials
- In the online admissions system, you will be required to fill out a Personal Information form.
- An overview of your CV
- An outline for a dissertation proposal
- A one-page summary of the proposal
- An explanation of the purpose of this document
- Research Methods and Skills Statement
- Diplomas/Diplomas/Masters Certificates
- Gratification transcripts for universities
- Recommendation letters from two recent candidates.
Applicants must meet the following requirements:
- An undergraduate degree in psychology, sociology, or political science is required.
- It is mandatory for applicants to submit a certificate of English proficiency (TOEFL, IELTS, CAE/CPE (Cambridge Exams)) in the form of a scan – PDF.
Programs eligible for funding include:
The pursuit of a doctoral degree in a field such as psychology, sociology, or politics.