It is preferable to study thoroughly and pass the 2022 JAMB accounting exam utilizing this JAMB financial accounting area of concentration for 2022, rather than to be hesitant and fail the exam, only to retake it the following year.
The most effective approach to pass the JAMB exam is to study with the 2022 JAMB recommended accounting textbooks, which cover all of the topics specified on the JAMB curriculum for financial accounting 2022, as indicated below.
The JAMB Financial Accounting Syllabus has always been one of the top things that has helped JAMB Financial Accounting Candidates in the past.
So, without sufficient preparation, there are no miracles that would help you pass JAMB. The question now is how you should study for the JAMB exam in 2022.
Studying for the exam would be easier if you are familiar with the topics on which JAMB will base the accounting questions in 2022. So, how will you be aware of this?
The only way to determine what topics the JAMB accounting questions will cover is to look at the JAMB accounting curriculum for 2022.
What is JAMB Syllabus?
JAMB Syllabus is a list of topics approved by the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) which you must read in order to pas your UTME examination.
It contains all the areas of concentration for each subject. In other words, your questions cannot go beyond these approved topics.
It also contains all the recommended textbooks for you to use in reading those topics.
Lets get started with the Financial accounting syllable
Download JAMB Accounting Syllabus
The aim of the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) syllabus in Principles of Accounts is to prepare the candidates for the Board’s examination. It is designed to test their achievement of the course objectives, which are to:
- Stimulate and sustain their interest in Principles of Accounts;
- Use the basic knowledge of and practical skills in Accounting;
- Apply the knowledge of interpretation of accounting information to decision making;
- Determine the relevance of accounting to business and governments;
- Use information and communication technology for present and future challenges.
JAMB Syllabus for Financial Accounting 2022/2023
1. Nature and Significance of Accounting
a. Development of accounting (including branches of accounting)
b. Objectives of bookkeeping and accounting;
c. Principles, concepts and conventions of accounting (nature, significance and
d. Role of accounting records and information
2. Principles of Double Entry
a. Functions of source documents
b. Books of original entry
c. Accounting equation
d. The ledger and its classifications
e. Trial balance
f. Types and treatment of errors and use of suspense account
3. Cash Book
a. Petty cash book and the imprest system
b. Columnar cash books
4. Bank Transactions and Reconciliation Statements
a. Instrument of bank transactions
b. e-banking system
c. Courses of discrepancies between cash book and bank statement
d. Bank reconciliation statement
5. The Final Accounts of a Sole Trader
a. Trading and profit and loss account
b. Balance sheet
i. provision for bad and doubtful debt
ii. provision for discounts
iii. provision for depreciation using the straight line and reducing balance methods
iv. accruals and prepayments
6. Stock Valuation
a. Methods of cost determination using FIFO, LIFO, and simple average
b. The advantages and disadvantages of the methods
c. The importance of stock valuation
7. Control Accounts and Self-balancing Ledgers
a. Uses of control accounts
b. Purchases ledger control account
c. Sales ledger control account
8. Incomplete Records and Single Entry
a. Conversion of single entry to double entry
b. Determination of missing figures
c. Preparation of final accounts from incomplete records
9. Manufacturing Accounts
a. Cost classification
b. Cost apportionment
c. Preparation of manufacturing account
10. Accounts of Not-For-Profit-Making Organizations.
a. Objectives of not-for-profit making organizations
b. Receipts and payments account
c. Income and expenditure account
d. Balance sheet
11. Departmental Accounts
b. Apportionment of expenses
c. Departmental trading and profit and loss account
12. Branch Accounts
b. Branch accounts in the head office books
c. Head office account
d. Reconciliation of branch and head office books
13. Partnership Accounts
a. Formation of partnership
b. Profit and loss account
c. Appropriation account
d. Partners current and capital accounts
e. Treatment of goodwill
f. Admission/retirement of a partner
g. Dissolution of partnership
h. Conversion of a partnership to a company
14. Introduction to Company Accounts
a. Formation and classification of companies
b. Issue of shares and debentures
c. Forms of final accounts of companies
d. Interpretation of accounts using ratios.
e. Distinction between capital and revenue reserves
15. Public Sector Accounting
a. Comparison of cash and accrual basis of accounting
b. Sources of government revenue
c. Capital and recurrent expenditure
d. Consolidated revenue fund
e. Statement of assets and liabilities
f. Responsibilities and powers of:
i. The Accountant General
ii. The Auditor General
i. The Minister of Finance
ii. The Treasurer of local government
g. Instruments of financial regulation
JAMB 2021 Recommended Textbooks for Accounting
- Modern Financial Accounting, by Abdullahi D.
- Get your Financial Accounting Right by Adeifa O. and Co (Volume 1 and Volume 2
- Basic Accounting by Akinduko, A.
- A guide to Government Accounting and Internal Audit, by Awoyemi, E.
- Foundation of Business Accounting, by Dodge,
- Contemporary Accounting, by Ekwere, A.
- Principles of Accounts, Volume 1 & 2, by Ekwue K.
- Simplified and Amplified Financial Accounting by Femi L.
- Frankwood’s Business Accounting, by Frankwood and Co.
- Government Accounting, by Hassan M.
- Financial Accounting Made Simple by Igben, R.
- Essential Financial Accounting for Senior Secondary Schools by Longe, O.
- Foundation Accounting by Millichamp, A.
- Financial Accounting by Okwoli, A.
- Government Accounting and Financial Control by Oshisami, K.
See More JAMB Syllabus: